Photo Coverage: Avenue Q Swings!
Robert Lopez and Jeff Marx, who won a Best Original Score Tony last year for co-writing Avenue Q, hosted Avenue Q Swings! at the Lucille Lortel Theatre on Monday, June 27th at 7:30pm. The money raised from the benefit will be used to replace two 50 year-old Steinway grand pianos at the Greenwich House Music School. Mary Ann McSweeney, who plays bass for Avenue Q and is also a composer/arranger, provided musical direction for the show which put Avenue Q songs through a number of new jazz, classical and other arrangements. Jim Caruso produced and Phil Geoffrey Bond directed.
Lopez studied piano at the Greenwich House for 15 years, and even wrote much of Avenue Q's score with Marx at the school. The R-rated puppet musical would open on July 31st 2003 at the Golden Theatre to win three Tonys--the triple crown of Best Musical, Best Score and Best Book (Jeffy Whitty). John Tartaglia, Stephanie D'Abruzzo, Rick Lyon, Ann Harada and Jennifer Barnhart were among the original cast members of the show.
Since its creation in 1905, Greenwich House Music School has provided affordable music lessons and musical events for students and audiences of all ages. A distinguished faculty teaches beginners as well as those who are returning to musical study either as an avocation or with professional aspirations. The School also continues the tradition of providing a performance series for the community. In the Renee Weiler Concert Hall, you can hear classical music and opera as well as ethnic, jazz, contemporary and folk music.
BroadwayWorld.com was on hand to bring you photos of the unique and fun evening full of Broadway's Best!
BWW Hi-Res Gallery - Original Version
Jeff Marx and Jim Caruso just before the audience is let in
Backstage with Robert with Toxic Audio
Stephanie and Christine
Tom and Sally
George A Davidson, Chair of Greenwich House made the
...followed by Jeff and Robert describing what the evening
had in store.
Tom Wopat and Sally Mayes sing "Everyone's A Little Bit Racist"
Stephanie D'Abruzzo sings "The More You Ruv Someone"
Toxic Audio performed "I Wish I Could Go Back To College"
and also "I'm Not Wearing Underwear Today"
Jeff introduces fellow composer, Marc Shaiman
Marc Shaiman humorously hijacked the evening with
his revised lyrics to "Welcome to the 60s" which was
written and performed for Scott Wittman's 50th Birthday party.
Christine Pedi belts "Special"
Tom Wopat sings "If You Were Gay"
The Q Trio (Lynn Bechtold, violin; Louise Dublin, cello; Taka Kigawa, piano)
perform "Variations On A Pornographic Theme)
Karen Mason performs "There's A Fine, Fine Line
Sally Mayes camps it up for "The Money Song"
"Give Us Your Money" - Discovering that the benefit is a mere
$132 short of their goal, Sally looks to the audience for help...
Mandy Patinkin jumps on stage to offer her $140...
...and asks where his change is...
"Or perhaps you'd take my credit card?"
Robert and Jeff close the show with "For Now"
A very happy Cathy Sharp (Director of Development, Greenwich House)
and Mandy Patinkin
Stephanie and Mandy
(who worked together in "Elmo in Grouchland")
Stephanie and Jim Caruso (who produced Avenue Q Swings)
A trio of talent - Robert, Mandy and Jeff
For more information on the Greenwich House, click here.
Past Articles by This Author:
Craig Brockman and independent video editor and producer in the entertainment industry and has served as both Senior Editor and Multimedia Director for BroadwayWorldand. He is also the owner of InfiniteCreativity.com - a multimedia, promotions and public relations company that services the entertainment industry. In addition to his work in the industry, Craig has a successful career in Marketing and Public Relations within IT. Click for more information about www.infinitecreativity.com and a full site/client list.
- BWW TV EXCLUSIVE: How Do You Write A Joe Schermann Song Official Trailer!
- BWW TV: Around the Broadway World 1/26 - The Sims Goes Broadway!
- BWW TV: Around the Broadway World 1/12 - Bway's Greatest Fan?, Robert Torti, Ruthless and more!
- BWW TV: Around the Broadway World 1/2 - Saying Goodbye, Saying Hello and a little Greenery
- BWW TV: Around the Broadway World 12/20 - All About Josh Gad
- BWW TV: Around the Broadway World 12/7 - It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Broadway...
- BWW TV: Around the Broadway World 11/19 - The Glee Project Auditions (the GIRLS!)
- BWW TV: Susan Egan's 'Nina Doesn't Care' Goes Live!
- BWW TV Exclusive: Behind the Scenes of Susan Egan's 'Nina Doesn't Care'
- BWW TV: Around the Broadway World - Outside the Box, You Must Be Joking, Jordan Roth, 11 Year Old Mallory and More!
- BWW TV: Around the Broadway World 11/1 - Tappers, Lyssie Jones, Ave Q and Millie!
- BWW TV: Around the Broadway World 10/23 - Memphis, Glee, In The Heights Flash Mobs and more!
- BWW TV: Around the Broadway World 10/17 - In The News with Errico, Priscilla, ROA & More
- BWW TV: Around the Broadway World 10/8 - City of Angels, You Can Be Elphaba and more!
- BWW TV: Around the Broadway World 9/24 - Show Promos and more!
- BWW TV: Around the Broadway World 9/15 - Not Quite on Broadway - YET!
- BWW TV: Around the Broadway World 9/8 - Teal Wicks, Kevin Pollak, 20th Century Boy, etc.
- BWW TV: Around the Broadway World 8/31 - Wow Factor from NY to OZ
- BWW TV: Around the Broadway World 8/25 - Before They Were Stars, Lippa and More!
- BWW TV: Your Backstage Ticket to CATCH ME IF YOU CAN Hosted By Kerry Butler