Americans for the Arts today announced the recipients of the 2012 National Arts Awards. This year's recipients are:
· Paul G. Allen – Eli & Edythe Broad Award for Philanthropy in the Arts
· James Rosenquist – Isabella and Theodor Dalenson Lifetime Achievement Award
· Brian Stokes Mitchell – Outstanding Contributions to the Arts Award
· Josh Groban – Bell Family Foundation Young Artist Award
· Lin Arison – Arts Education Award
Celebrated dancer and choreographer and former National Arts Awards honoree for Outstanding Contributions to the Arts Mikhail Baryshnikov and world-renowned American sculptor Richard Serra will be among the presenters. In addition, the evening will feature installations of work by world-renowned visual artist Julie Mehretu and a special musical performance by YoungArts.
The award itself, an image of which is attached to this email, was designed in 2010 by Americans for the Arts' Artists Committee member, former National Arts Awards honoree for Artistic Achievement and international art world figure Jeff Koons.
This year's honorees will receive their award at a benefit at Cipriani 42nd Street in New York City on October 15.
The National Arts Awards, which are given out annually, recognize artists and arts leaders who exhibit exemplary national leadership and whose work demonstrates extraordinary artistic achievement. They are presented during National Arts and Humanities Month, the largest annual celebration for the arts and humanities in America.