In just three days, Times Square will turn into every theatre lover's dream as Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS presents the 26th Annual Broadway Flea Market & Grand Auction. The all day, outdoor extravaganza features celebrities from Broadway's biggest shows, live and silent auctions with once-in-a-lifetime experiences and exclusive backstage access, and one-of-a-kind theatre treasures. As usual, BroadwayWorld.com will be streaming live video from the Grand Auction. Check back on Sunday for full details!
Spend this Sunday, September 23, 2012, with Broadway Cares and thousands of other theatre fans in Times Square, Shubert Alley and along West 44th Street. Open 10 AM – 7 PM, this not-to-be-missed event for every Broadway theatergoer is free and open to the public.
Among the priceless lots available through this year's Grand Auction are an opportunity to meet the legendary Barbra Streisand, a private lunch with stage-and-screen icon Angela Lansbury, opening night VIP tickets to 15 of this season's new Broadway shows, the shirts off Hugh Jackman's and Ricky Martin's backs – literally, and much more.
From posing for photos with your favorite Broadway and television stars, to buying that lost cast recording, autographed show posters and Playbills, rare costume sketches or special gift you can't find anywhere else – the Broadway Flea Market & Grand Auction promises something for everyone.
Broadway and Off-Broadway shows will be represented at flea market tables offering show biz memorabilia not available anywhere else, including props and set pieces, custom-made keepsakes from costumes and rigging, handcrafted ornaments and dolls, and other theatrical riches.
The Grand Auction, always a highlight of the event, will take place this year in the Times Square pedestrian plaza between 46th and 47th Streets. The Grand Auction is divided in two parts: a daylong series of silent auctions and a live auction that wraps up the day.
The live auction starts at 4:30 PM. Among the more than 40 astounding lots up for bid are:
- An unforgettable private lunch with stage-and-screen legend Angela Lansbury, winner of five Tony Awards and a three-time Oscar and 18-time Emmy nominee
- The ultimate Barbra Streisand experience, featuring VIP tickets to her upcoming concert at Brooklyn's Barclays Center, a backstage meet and greet with Streisand and her band, a souvenir book and a signed copy of her new CD
- Shirts worn onstage by Hugh Jackman and Ricky Martin during their Broadway performances, autographed and dated by each actor
- Backstage meet and greets with Matthew Broderick, Ricky Martin, Kelli O'Hara, Rory O'Malley, Bernadette Peters, Frankie Valli, the casts of Once and War Horse and more
- Opening night VIP tickets and party passes to Annie, The Heiress, Kinky Boots, Matilda, The Mystery of Edwin Drood and 10 other new Broadway shows
- Tickets to the New York movie premiere of the much-anticipated Les Misérables, starring Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, and Anne Hathaway
- Walk-on roles at Chicago, The Lion King, Mamma Mia!, Newsies, The Phantom of the Opera, and Rock of Ages
- VIP visits to the sets of TV's inside theatre hit drama "Smash," Emmy-winning comedy "Modern Family," and top drama "NCIS: Los Angeles."
This year's live auction will be hosted by Broadway veteran John Bolton (A Christmas Story) with BC/EFA's iconic auctioneer Lorna Kelly and Broadway actress and auctioneer Tasha Lawrence.